Wednesday, April 25, 2018

How Does An Illustrated Book Come To Life?

The Haunted House of Dracula started out life as a potential for a third-person adventure game. I developed multiple levels of gameplay. It started in an office where my reluctant heroes were working as Gentlemen Cleaners. The gameplay was set up that the object to achieve was to; find a beginner's guide to being a Private Detective, find a machine and the supplies to make business cards for a Private Detective, and finally to create cards for themselves.  That would trigger the arrival of a Femme Fatale with a story about inheriting a mansion that had a buried treasure but it was haunted. Booh was smitten with the lady and Babbot with the potential for treasure. 


Bartholomew Hamilton
Jonathan Babbot
I started using Unity and iClone as tools to create my adventure game.
As can be seen from the images that appear the page, poor Booh and Babbot never had a chance. My artistic skills consisted of trying to create characters using iClone, badly and manipulating them in PaintShopPro.

Please note that in a former life I was a very good Programmer Analyst Hacker. I was also an excellent writer for storyline development. I was and am a lousy artist. I can manipulate images with PaintShopPro and do a pretty decent job, but I was not up to the level I needed for the quality of the game I wanted to produce.

I turned my writing talent to creating the "Jonas Watcher Detective Adventure Series". I have written and published four short novels that have been relatively successful. I am not yet in James Patterson's league financially but I'm working on it. I have a half dozen additional stories for Jonas Watcher. Add to that I have just finished the rough draft of the first book in a new series, the book, "M'Lady's Gentlemen" and the series is "In Her Majesty's Service " circa Victorian England in the mid-nineteenth century

Things were moving along just fine when Booh and Babbot raised their heads and said to my imagination, "Why can't we have a book?" I had no answer...

To Be Continued...                           

No comments:

Post a Comment