Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Finding An Illustrator, Sometimes It's Kismet

The argument within my imagination with Booh and Babbot sent me to the internet. I had a great backstory and several ideas for adventure games highlighting Booh and Babbot as reluctant heroes. They were two underdogs, and everyone loves an underdog. They insisted on being visual which unfortunately highlighted my shortcoming as an artist or illustrator. Internet, here I come.

I found Cartoon Solutions. There were a number of elements that I could use in creating a graphic novel or an Illustrated book. I investigated the site and looked for images that I could buy and use in my effort to bring the Adventures of Booh and Babbot to life. Cartoon Solutions also added new life to my web cartoon series "In the Kingdom" that also suffered from my inability to draw. But that's another story and it will have its own blog.  To the right is an updated version of the outside of the haunted house. The rich blues appealed to me and I was okay with the scene that was created using layers. Remember I have some skill in image manipulation and I hoped I could create scenes using the various layers present in the haunted house image. Cartoon Solutions also offered a limited interior of the haunted house. Again I would be able to manipulate layers to create additional rooms. Next, I needed Booh and Babbot.
Booh

Babbot
 Cartoon Solutions had a number of characters available and I found two that were reasonably accurate for what I was looking for. My major concern was the characters were older than what I was hoping for. I thought I might be able to adjust the individual features and develop them into younger characters. Though at the time this was not a priority.

I was finishing the second draft of the book "M'Lady's Gentlemen" which is the first book in the "In Her Majesty's Service" series. It is a book with illustrations rather than an Illustrated Book. The first is a story that is enhanced with images to help tell the story, but the narrative the main source of the story. In an Illustrated Book, the images becomean intrgal part of the storytelling.

I have always loved books with illustrations and I have always wanted to create one. So for "M'Lady's Gentlemen" I bit the bullet and went searching for an illustrator. Through "Good Reads". Two responded and I contacted the first and looked through her online portfolio. I informed the second illustrator that I needed to see how the first one would work out. Then Kismet set in...

To Be Continued...






No comments:

Post a Comment